A fair number of members and friends have been asking “what next?” Well, with Phase 1 of the running line now available for traffic (although ongoing lifting and packing will continue as it beds- in), thoughts now turn to Phase 2!
Phase 2a sees the running line extended northwards to just short of the points. This involves:
- Completion of the coper course on the main platform.
- Commissioning of the stock siding and headshunt to accommodate stored rolling stock, thereby clearing our exit to the north from the station platform.
- Installation of a further drainage catchpit in the cess just beyond the platform where we installed the cross drain back in 2008: the materials are already on site.
- Refurbishment and re-wiring of the fence line between the platform and the level crossing on the “Down” side.
Phase 2b sees trains reach the south side of the Golden Bridge . This involves:
- Removal of the remaining spent ballast/ spoil off the bridge.
- A full structural inspection.
- The likely replacement of the waterproofing layer together with some re-pointing work.
- Laying clean ballast and permanent track over the bridge.
- Ballasting the concrete sleepered panels we laid earlier this year, lifting and packing.
Phase 2c upgrades the existing track over the summit, bringing trains to within sight of the tunnel portal. This involves:
- Provision of a permanent road surface, a full set of gates and all necessary signage, white lines etc. at the level crossing.
- Obtaining further statutory permissions in relation to the level crossing.
- Provision of a ground frame and a facing lock to the points: materials already being sourced and moved to site.
- Ballasting, levelling and packing.
Phase 2 extends the running line to the boundaries of our current leasehold, a distance of around half a mile (or a return trip of a mile), with passengers traversing a level crossing, the highest point on the whole Waverley Route and a bridge which gives fantastic views down the valley.
In addition, the bay platform forms a separate project albeit running in parallel with the above works. Plans here include completion of the platform wall and placing of infill material, the earthworks necessary to provide the improved alignment off the running line, drainage works, laying and compacting bottoming and tracklaying.